Search Devin Heskeths Blog

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Thin Ice

Yesterday, I felt like I needed to spend a little time alone with the Lord, so I decided to go on a walk.  If you do not know, Stony Plain, the town we live in, is filled with walking trails.  There is one walking trail about five minutes from our house, that leads to a couple of covered benches.  In total, it is a fifteen minute walk.  Once I got to the first trail, I noticed that the creek that ran right beside the trail was still frozen over.  I went over to it  and tested it out to make sure it would hold me.  It did.  I decided to walk on top of it.  I found it kind of cool that there was water running underneath it.  I walked along it for quite a while too.  I got most of the way to the benches, and I looked ahead to where it looked like somebody had broken through it.  As I got closer to it, I started to hear an echoing noise under my feet.  I didnt think much of it at first.  I kept going.  As I got about twenty yards from the broken ice, I heard it even louder.  I decided that I should get off before I fell through.  I waited for a minute, and then when I went to walk off, my left foot broke through the ice.  My leg went halfway down into the water.  I pushed off of the ice with my right leg, and then it broke through too!  I finally crawled out, soaked and my legs covered in mud.  I almost laughed at myself thinking about how stupid I must have looked.  I got out, and continued on to the benches that were only a few minutes away now. 

Anyway, I got to thinking about how much this reminded me of Chill-Out this year, and the decisions that I made.  Just as easy as it was for me to fall into the muddy water, it is just as easy for me to fall into the sins that I gave to the Lord.  I can be going through the Christian life, trying to keep the decisions I made, trusting in my power and getting proud, but the thing is... I cant.  I will fall back down into the mud again.  My word of encouragement to you is, "Do not think that you can handle your problems on your own.  God is the only one that can give us the power to overcome them.


Jude 1:24

Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,
 

Whenever you are trusting in your power, you are walking on thin ice! 

1 Corinthians 2:5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God. 

 Remember that God is the only thing that you can truly rely on."

2 comments:

  1. Hey Devin thanks for this I really need it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem. We all need it! Keep up the comments.

    ReplyDelete